Checklist of details required on 2021 Self Assessment Returns

Please inform us of all sources of income for 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021, including the following:


Profits from self employment (CIS statements required if applicable)

Salaries and wages from employment (P60, P45 or last payslip before 6 April 2021)

Bonuses, redundancy or lump sums received

Company benefits (P11D from employers required)

Any state benefits (including incapacity benefit, employment or support allowances, job seekers etc)

Bank current and deposit account interest received (please specify if amount is gross or net of tax)

Building society interest received (please specify if amount is gross or net of tax)

Investment account interest received (please specify if amount is gross or net of tax)

ISA investment interest received over the limit

National Savings Account interest received (Post Office)

Interest received on Income, Deposit and Capital Bonds

Dividends from UK companies (vouchers required)

Foreign income (including property rental)

Unit trust income

Trust income

State pension (letter from Benefits Agency required)

Other pensions and annuities (P60 required)

Private income from rental properties or land, and details of allowable expenses

Maintenance received (if agreement made before 15 March 1988)

Capital Gains on disposal of assets (including shares, investments, property, machinery etc)

Surrender of insurance policies (chargeable event certificate required)

Any loan interest received

Any other income


Coronavirus government grants are taxable and need to be included on your Self Assessment Return. If you were in receipt of any of the following grants, or any other grants, please let us have the relevant details including the full amount of the grants and the date received.

  • Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS)
  • Small Business Grants Fund (SBGF)
  • Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund (RHLGF)
  • Local Authority Discretionary Fund


Relief entitlements (including Blind Person’s relief etc)

Payments to pension plans

Payments to retirement annuity contacts

Covenant payments

Employees payments to fund death, sickness or superannuation benefits

Gift Aid donations

Venture Capital trust subscriptions

Interest on qualifying loans

Enterprise investment scheme subscriptions

Tax deductible expenses related to earned income

Employment related subscriptions paid


Please confirm if you have received notification from the Student Loans Company that repayment of an Income Contingent Student Loan began before 6 April 2021 and provide us with details if possible.


If (1) your annual income is above £50,000 and (2) you are the higher earner of the household and (3) you or your partner still receives Child Benefit, then please contact us because we need details to include on your 2020 Self Assessment Tax Return. 


Marriage Allowance allows you to transfer £1,250 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner. This can reduce your tax by up to £250 for the year ended 5 April 2021.

To benefit as a married couple, one of you needs to have an income of £12,500 or less. The other spouse’s income must be between £12,500 and £50,000 for you to be eligible. You can backdate your claim to include any tax year since 5 April 2016 that you were eligible for Marriage Allowance.

Please confirm your marital status for the year ended 5 April 2021 and if married, please provide the following information so that we may check if you or your partner are eligible for the marriage you accordingly:

  • Spouse’s Name
  • Spouse’s Date of Birth
  • Spouse’s National Insurance Number
  • Date of Marriage
  • Spouse’s gross income for the year ended 5 April 2021

Comments are closed.